History of Lake Union
Presentation to the Annandale History Club
August 7, 2006
members of the Annandale History Club and four members of
and Mrs. Andrew Anderson
and Mrs. John Hasselberg
and Mrs. Hedwin Olson
Mrs. Anna Maria Olson
Hasselberg was elected chairman; Gust Werner, clerk: Andrew Anderson, treasurer;
Hedwin Olson, deacon; Hulda
Hasselberg, deaconess. Before and
during the time of building the church, meetings and Sunday school were held in
said that the immigrants had a passion for the Christian faith and community.
Schools and churches were priorities.
Language was important, because services were conducted in the language
of their homeland into the 1930s. Proximity
was important, because the early pioneers walked to church or traveled by horse
significant dates in church history:
1899 - Cemetery started.
1905 - First recorded meeting of Ladies Aid in May.
1906 - First organizational meeting January 1. Congregation organized in November.
1907 - Church incorporated in January at
. Litchfield, Minnesota
1908 - Chairs purchased to replace home-sawed plank benches.
1909 - Organ purchased. Replaced later by a piano.
1910 - First confirmation class. 17 confirmed by Rev. S. E. Roslin.
1935 - Congregation affiliated with the Northwest Conference of the Evangelical Covenant Church of America.
. - First Vacation Bible School
1937 - Electric lights installed. Funds for the electric lights were raised by the women of the church.
1938 - Sunday worship changed from Swedish to English, except for the first Sunday of the month, which remained in Swedish.
1939 - Basement added. Church Constitution translated from Swedish to English and adopted.
1944 - Adopted Covenant Pastors' Plan.
1946 - Pews were purchased with memorials.
1956 - Furnace installed.
1974 - Church building improved with enlarged entrance and bathrooms.
1981 - Kitchen added to fellowship hall in the basement. Congregation accepted as members of the
. Evangelical Covenant Church
1990 - Additional land purchased for possible future expansion.
1992 - Narthex enlarged, office and nursery added.
2006 - Centennial Celebration. New sound system.
Rev. August Sjoberg, Rev. J. G. Sjoquist and Rev. Bergren served the church as ministers during the first years until 1910.
Rev. S. E. Roslin 1910-1924
Rev. Paul Cassel 1924-1925
Rev. Elmer Landerdahl Summer 1925
Rev. Ernest B. Anderson October 1925-April 1926
Rev. Roy N. Wiberg 1926-1929
Rev. H. Martin Olson 1932-1935
Rev. Victor Mars 1936-1938
Rev. Einar Anderson 1938-1942
Rev. Elroy Anderson 1942-1943
Rev. C. Lloyd Walters &
Rev. Carl I. Lindberg 1944-1946
Rev. Paul Sundberg 1946-1947
Rev. Oscar B. Johnson 1948-1952
Rev. John Hallsten Summer 1952
Rev. Paul S. Backlund 1952-1953
Rev. George Pauluk 1953-1960
Rev. Robert Christianson 1960-1962
Rev. Wallace Burke 1962-1964
Rev. Walter Blackwood 1964-1971
Rev. Clarence Swanson 1971-1972
Rev. Roy N. Wiberg February-March 1972
Rev. Randy Stauter 1973-1974
Rev. Walter Blackwood March-July 1973
Rev. Fred Glasser 1974-1975
Rev. Carol Shimmin 1975-1976
Rev. George Pauluk 1976-1983
Rev. Paul Webster 1983-1988
Rev. Lee Shelton 1988-1995
Rev. Lloyd Melvie &
Rev. Lee Shelton 1994-1995
Rev. Art Stenberg 1995-2002
Rev. Mike McCain 2003-2006
Rev. Lloyd Melvie September 2006 - Present [as of 2009]
Celebrations have been held for
Notes by Secretary
Annandale History Club