Annandale, Minnesota



 Civic Gps.

  AHS Alumni

 Contact Us



HOME > Other > Senior Citizens > NAPS


NAPS is a free food program for seniors 60 years or older who meet federal income guidelines.  NAPS will be distributed in the Wright County Human Services Building at 1004 Commercial Drive, Buffalo, MN 55313 on the 3rd or 4th Friday of the month at 10:00-11:00 a.m.  MUST BE PRE-REGISTERED FOR PROGRAM.  To register or for more information please call Mary Z. at 763-682-7508 or 800-362-3667, ext. 7508

What is NAPS? The Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS) is the Minnesota name for the federal Commodity Supplemental Food Program. The program provides the following foods to help seniors meet their nutritional needs:
  • Dry and canned evaporated milk and cheese
  • Ready to eat and hot cereal
  • Instant potatoes or rice or macaroni or spaghetti
  • Canned juice, fruits and vegetables
  • Canned beef, pork, chicken, stew, tuna, salmon or egg mix
  • Peanut butter three times a year and dry beans three other times a year

Who qualifies for NAPS? To qualify for nutrition assistance, you must be:

  • Age 60 or over
  • A Minnesota resident
  • Within the income guidelines set by the program

It is not necessary to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for NAPS.

Where do I go to pick up the food? NAPS has more than seventy monthly distribution sites. To find the one nearest you, call 800-365-0270.

In Wright County NAPS will be distributed in the Wright County Human Services Building at 1004 Commercial Drive, Buffalo, MN 55313.

You may send someone else to come in and pick up your package for you, but that person will need to bring a note from you as well as his or her own identification, such as a drivers license.

How long can I stay on the program? NAPS certifies a senior citizen for six months. After the six months, if your income still meets the guidelines AND if the program has an opening available, you can recertify to stay on the program. If there are no openings, your name will be placed on a waiting list, and you will be notified when there is an opening.

If you are on the program and you move, you may transfer your certification to a different Minnesota location.

If you are on the program and you do not pick up your food package for two months in a row, you will be taken off the program. You may reapply anytime, but there may be a waiting list to participate.

What if I do not want all the food? Tell the staff that you do not want it or cannot use it. Selling NAPS food is against the law, and NAPS can take legal action against you. You can be taken off NAPS if you abuse the program.

If I am on NAPS, will I lose my other assistance? No. NAPS is not considered when you apply for food stamps and other programs.

How do I sign up? NAPS requires anyone who wants to participate in the program to complete an application. You may apply in Wright County by calling Mary Z. at 763-682-7508 or 800-362-3667, ext. 7508.

The application will require the following information:

  • Your name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • The number of people in your household
  • Your total household income (before taxes) from all sources

If you qualify for NAPS, you will need to come in for an appointment and bring the following:

  • Proof of your identity (such as a photo ID or passport)
  • Proof of your birth date (such as a drivers license, MN identification card, birth certificate)
  • Proof of residency (such as a drivers license or current utility bill)

Annandale Online

Please Contact Us with comments, questions, corrections and suggestions.

HOME | Events | Civic Groups | Government | City | Library | Chamber | Religion/Spirituality | Health
  Advocate | School | AHS Alumni | Health Care | History | Visitors | Other | Links | Contact Us | Weather